- Serves: 6 People
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking: 20 Minutes
- Calories: 464
- Difficulty: easy
Chana dal (split chickpeas) is rich in fiber and protein and also a good option for people who are on a low carb or diabetic, as it is diabetic friendly diet. This is also known as Bengal gram. It has a sweet and nutty taste. This lentil also powdered into gram flour or baisan. Chana dal is favorite at my home. It goes well with rice, roti and naan. The recipe I am sharing is very easy, delicious and quick to prepare. I hope you will enjoy it.
- In a bowl take dal channa and wash it. Then add baking soda in it and add enough water in which dal can be soaked well. Let dal soak for 3-4 hours.
- After the time drain the water and wash dal again so that soda could be removed from dal.
- Now put dal in the pressure cooker and add about 1.5 cups of water to cook it very well. We need dal as much tender that it could be easily mashed with hand. The quantity of water can be different depending on the type of your pressure cooker. If you are cooking dal in a pan add water according to it.
- In 6 minutes dal will be well cooked and you can take out the pressure. The timing of cooking also varies according to the pressure cooker or pan in which you are cooking.
- Now in a pan add cooking oil and put it on medium high flame.
- Add taiz pat, black cardamom and cumin seeds in the oil and saute it for 30 seconds.
- Add fried onion and mix it. Then add about 1-2 tablespoon water in the pan. This will make fried onion soft.
- Now add ginger garlic paste in the pan and fry it for 30 seconds.
- Add all the spices red chili powder, kashmiri lal mirch, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder in the pan and mix everything well and add 1-2 tablespoon of water so that spices could be cooked easily. You can add more water as per your requirement we just need to fry the spices well.
- After roasting masala for 5 minutes, add salt and tomato puree in it, fry it for 2-3 minutes or until oil released from masala.
- Now add boiled dal and about 4 tablespoon of water in the pot and combine well. If you want more runny gravy you can add more water in it.
- Add garam masala, green chilies and black pepper powder at this stage and mix together.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves and turn off the flame.
- Serve it with roti, nan or rice and garnish with green chilies and fresh coriander while serving.
You may also like