- Serves: 7 People
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 649
- Difficulty: easy
Besan ki barfi or Besan Pak is basically gram flour fudge made with besan, sugar and ghee. It is one of those traditional sweets that is loved by everyone including kids. This mouth melting and traditional besan burfi is a traditional festive delight. Besan pak or besan barfi is usually made during festivals and celebrations.
I am sharing a commercial besan barfi recipe here. To prepare besan barfi in this way requires continuous hand work and attention. The recipe involves a bit technique and you need is a handful of ingredients and lots of patience to make this decadent sweet.
- Heat a wok on low flame and add ghee, besan, maida in it. Use a heavy bottom wok for this purpose, do not use non stick as the process involves too much stirring.
- Stirring non-stop, you will come to a stage where the besan will have a nice golden color and will have a good aroma. Its important to fry the besan very well or else you will get the raw taste of besan in the barfi.This may take about 5 minutes.
- After roasting besan, sprinkle a tablespoon of water in it and mix it quickly.
- Turn off the flame but do not stop stirring the mixture.
- Gradually add the dissolved zarda color in the besan till your desired color achieved. Put the besan mixture aside and start preparing sugar syrup.
- In another pan add sugar and water for making the sugar syrup and start cooking it on medium flame.
- Let the sugar melt, we need a thick syrup so cook the sugar for 5-6 minutes on medium to high flame.
- When the syrup starts bubbling and came to a thick consistency add dissolved cream of tarter and mix it well.
- then add crushed cardamom in the syrup mix it again and turn off the flame.
- Continue stirring the syrup until the bubbles disappear.
- Pour all the sugar syrup in the besan mixture and quickly and vigorously mix everything very well. You have to be quick and fast as the mixture begins to harden.
- Stir the mixture continuously and after 4-5 minutes you will notice that mixture is thickened.
- In the tray or mold where you want to set the barfi line a butter paper and grease it.
- Then pour the barfi mixture in the pan and smooth the surface with spatula.
- Let it rest on room temperature for 6-8 hours or over night.
- The barfi will set after the time, cut in your desired shape and garnish with nuts.
You may also like