- Serves: 4 People
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking: 40 Minutes
- Calories: 438
- Difficulty: easy
Chawal channay is part of a breakfast menu in Pakistan. It is a very famous Lahori breakfast food where chickpeas coked in a delicious and flavorful gravy. This recipe is a classic street style chole chawal recipe, I hope you will enjoy it.
- Wash safaid channa, add a pinch of baking soda (Meetha soda) in the water and soak the channa over night or for 8 hours.
- After soaking time add sabut dhanya, dal masoor and salt in the channa and let these boil until fully tender.
- When channas are fully cooked drain the water and save it for later use.
- In a pan add sabaz mirchain. piyaz, Lahsan adrak, aalo and tamatar and add enough water so that all these things should be boiled.
- After boiling add these vegetables into grinder and make a paste of these.
- Now in another pan add ghee and let it heat on medium flame.
- Now add the prepared paste and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add safaid zeera, kuti hoi lal mirch, dhanya powder, lal mirch powder, namak, qasoori methi and fry for 1 minutes.
- Now add boiled channa in this gravy and fry on medium to high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Low the flame and add slightly beaten dahi, tatri, kala namak, amchoor powder, garam masala and mix it. Let it cook for 1 minute on slow flame.
- Now again put the flame on medium and add 1 glass of water in the gravy that we put aside after boiling channa.
- Now add meetha soda in the channa gravy and fry it till oil start to separate from gravy.
- Turn off the flame, sprinkle kali mirch powder, give a gentle mix and put the prepared channa aside.
- ____________________For Chawal____________________
- In a pan add cooking oil and put it on medium flame.
- add piyaz in it and fry it till golden brown.
- Then add sabut garam masala and fry for a minute.
- Now add water in the pan, cover it and let the water boil.
- When water starts to boil add namak in it and then add rice.
- When about an inch of water remains in the pan cover it, slow the flame and let the rice steam cook for 15 minutes.
- After the time take off the cover and your rice are ready.
- For serving take rice in a plate, pour channa gravy on it and sprinkle some sliced onion, tomato and raita.
You may also like