- Serves: 7 People
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cooking: 60 Minutes
- Calories: 523
- Difficulty: medium
I don’t think there is anyone who dislikes biryani, it is one of those dishes which means ‘celebration’ or maybe a family get together, wedding, eid celebration…etc.
Preparing biryani involves many steps and sometimes a little time consuming too, but its all worth the effort. The secret to a perfect biryani is all about cooking the rice to perfection, the blend of spices in the gravy and the technique of ‘dum cooking’. In the process of ‘dum cooking’, This smoked chicken seekh kabab biryani is a worth to try and one of my family's most favorite dish. This is a restaurant style special seekh kabab biryani recipe. Although it is a bit lengthy and technical but believe me whenever I cooked it I always received a lot of appreciation. I am sure that you will also receive the same appreciation.
- In a bowl add chicken mince along with chopped onion, green chilies, fresh coriander, ginger garlic paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, salt and combine everything.
- Now in chopper add bread slices and make fresh bread crumbs. Take out and put aside.
- Now in the chopper add the mince mixture butter or ghee and chop everything to a fine paste.
- Take out in a bowl, add egg and already made bread crumbs in this kabab mixture, mix well to combine. The mixture will be runny at this stage but the bread crumbs will absorb the excess water.
- Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge to marinate for almost 3-4 hours or over night for a good taste.
- After the marination time take out the mince out of fridge.
- Take a grill pan or frying pan, brush some oil in it and put it on low to medium heat.
- Over a skewer or seekh, shape the seekh kababs and put on grill pan one by one. Grease your hands with some oil so that mince should not stick.
- Cook from all sides till nice and golden and take out of pan. (If you feel during maing kababs that mixture is runny then you can add a tablespoon of dry bread crumbs).
- Heat a charcoal on flame till red hot, place a metal cup or foil cup in the middle of the cooked kababs plate, drizzle a few drops of oil on it and cover it for 5 minutes so that kababs could get infused with smoky flavor.
- __________________For Potato Wedges____________________
- Wash the potatoes but do not peel them.
- First, cut each potato in half lengthwise. Place each half flat side down and cut in half lengthwise again. If the wedges are too wide, cut them in half lengthwise one more time.
- Toss them with flour and salt and deep fry till crispy and perfectly cooked.
- Take out of the pan and set aside.
- ______________For Boil Rice_______________
- In the water add all spices, salt and boil the rice completely. Do not over cook just perfectly cooked without any "kani"
- Drain the rice and set aside.
- ______________For Gravy of Biryani_______________
- In a wide pan add cooking oil, dar chini, choti ilachi and fry for a minute on medium flame.
- Add ginger garlic paste in it and fry it till golden brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and green chilies, add 1/4 cup of water to it.
- Cover the pan and cook tomatoes until tomatoes are mushy and oil separates.
- Beat yogurt and add salt in it, mix it and add in tomato mixture. Mix well and let it cook till water from masala dries and oil releases. (You can taste the masala at this stage and if you feel the masala is too sour you may cut this sourness by adding a teaspoon of sugar.
- After that add kbabas and steam with lid on the pan for 5 minutes.
- _________________For Assembling Biryani___________________
- Take out half of the kabab gravy in a bowl and left the remaining half in pan for layering.
- Add layer of half of boiled rice on top of it and sprinkle chopped mint, coriander leaves, green chilies, lemon slices and crushed fried onions.
- Then layer the fried potato wedges on it and again add a layer of kabab gravy.
- Continue the same process and complete the layering.
- Drizzle the zarda color dissolved in water on top and cover the pan.
- Steam cook the biryani for 10 minutes on low flame.
- After the time uncover the biryani and serve hot with raita and salad.
You may also like