- Serves: 7 People
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking: 18 Minutes
- Calories: 290
- Difficulty: easy
If you are looking for something more filling but still want to enjoy the invigorating aroma and flavor of your favorite beverage, these are just perfect. Coffee buns or rotiboy is a bun stuffed with butter and has a very crispy coffee pastry topping. You will be surprised with aroma of coffee butter and bread in your kitchen.
Although it looks difficult when you taste these buns or even look at them but believe me it is very easy recipe and you will be surprised with the amazing results.
- ________________For Bread_________________
- Combine luke warm water and milk in a glass.
- Add sugar,instant yeast and mix well,cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl add all purpose flour, and salt and mix well.
- Now add yeast mixture, egg and melted butter in this mixture and continue mixing in the bowl.
- Dust some flour on the work surface and start kneading the dough on it. The dough will be much stickier at this stage but as much as you work on it, it will develop elasticity.
- A total of 200 turns or a time of 10 minutes is required for this kneading process.
- When a shiny soft dough is formed stop kneading.
- Put the dough back in bowl, cover the bowl, put it on a warm place and let the dough proof for 1 hour or until double in size.
- After the time divide the dough in 6 equal portions, roll each into a round ball.
- Flatten the roll a little bit , put the butter cube in the center.
- To close the dough gather the sides in the center, pinch the dough and roll it to a ball again.
- Once you are done with all 6 pieces, place them on to your baking tray line with parchment paper and let them rise for 1 or 1 and half hour. Make sure to cover these with towel.
- ________________For Coffee Topping__________________
- Dissolve coffee powder in hot water.
- Then in a mixing bowl add softened butter and mix this a little bit to fluff it up.
- Then add in icing sugar and mix that with a spoon until nice and creamy.
- Next add egg and dissolved coffee mixture in it and whisk that until combined.
- Then add sifted flour in this mixture and finish whisking until everything comes together. It will only take only 2 minutes to get everything mixed.
- _______________For assembling & Baking___________________
- Pre heat the oven to 180 °C or 350 F for 20-30 minutes.
- After the proofing time the buns will be doubled in size.
- Pour the coffee topping in piping bag and pipe it up in circles around the buns. The coffee topping will melt during baking and will cover all over the bun.
- Now bake these in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Let them cool down on a cooling rack and then enjoy.
- __________________Note: Freeze you butter for the filling after cutting them into cubes. This will ensure that they do not melt into the dough while shaping and waiting for them to rise before baking.
- If you are not going to use the coffee topping immediately or it is too warm in your kitchen, refrigerate it so it will not melt. Actually it is better to refrigerate the coffee buttercream topping for a few minutes before adding it on the dough. This way it will not melt too fast in the oven and will form a thicker crispy crust on top of the buns.
- These buns are best eaten freshly baked while still warm. The coffee caramel crust will lose its crunch after some time. You can bake it again for 10 minutes to get that crunch back.
You may also like