- Serves: 1 People
- Prep Time: 0 Minutes
- Cooking: 0 Minutes
- Calories: 336
- Difficulty: easy
Chocolate lamington cake is the national cake of Australia. It is a sponge cake dipped in chocolate and coated in desiccated coconut. It is also called Australian cake. Today's recipe is how to make easy and egg-less Australian chocolate lamington cake at home. This cake is perfect for morning or afternoon tea. You’re going to love making this special Australian dessert from scratch. The cake is cut into squares and then dipped into chocolate icing, then rolled and covered with coconut. There are different varieties of lamington as jam filled or whipped cream filled lamington cake. For the lamington first you need to make a soft delicious sponge cake one that's light, airy and sweet. I know many people consider making sponge cake a very difficult task but the recipe I am sharing today is very simple and quick and we are going to make it on stove top without oven. But I will also share the timing and temperature for oven cooking as well. Once the cake is cooled down we will cut it into squares and dip each square into chocolate icing which we are going to prepare at home as well. Then each square will be rolled into coconut and we are done. I hope yo will enjoy this step by step recipe and will share your feedback.
- Take a 7x7 inch square cake pan and grease it with oil or butter. Then line it with baking or parchment paper and put this baking pan aside. (If you do not have baking paper dust some all purpose flour in the pan after greasing it, spread it evenly on all sides of pan and remove the excess).
- Take a bowl and add oil, yogurt and powdered sugar in it. Combine all these things with the help of hand whisk for 30-40 seconds.
- Put a strainer (chalni) on the bowl and strain all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda in the bowl. Mix all the ingredients gently by cut and fold technique with a spatula. Remember do not over mix the mixture we just need to combine all the ingredients well otherwise the cake will become hard.
- Now gradually add milk in the mixture and mix it as well gently. Our cake batter is ready.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and tap it for 1-2 time to remove air bubbles from it.
- Take a pan or karahi or pateela in which you are going to bake the cake. Spread salt in the bottom of it and put a stand in it.
- Cover this karahi pan or pateela and pre heat it on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Place the cake mold in the pre heated pan and cover it again, bake the cake on low medium flame for 35-40 minutes. the timing may vary so check the cake after 30 minutes. When a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean your cake is ready. If your skewer is wet you can give few more minutes to the cake.
- Let the cool down and come to the room temperature. Cover it with a cloth so that the surface should not get dry. We will prepare the chocolate icing until the cake cools down.
- For the chocolate icing strain the cocoa powder and add it into a pan. Also add sugar and combine both ingredients well.
- Now gradually add milk in it and mix every thing so that lumps should not be created.
- Now add butter in this mixture, put the pan on low flame and cook the mixture till it starts boiling while continuously stirring it. If you do not want to prepare this sauce you can coat the cake with chocolate ganache as well. Once the mixture starts to boil turn off the flame and let the sauce cool down slightly.
- Remove the butter paper from the cake, cut the sides of the cake and remove its brown edges to give it a good shape and then cut it into squares.
- Take a piece of cake and dip it into chocolate sauce. Make sure it is covered with chocolate sauce from all sides. Hold the cake piece a little while to remove excess sauce.
- Then put it into desiccated coconut and coat it well from all sides.
- Repeat the same process with whole cake.
- Place the cake in fridge for 30 minutes so that chocolate on cake should be set completely.
- Cake is ready to enjoy.
- ____________Note for oven baking bake the cake in pre heated oven at 180 °C for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
You may also like