- Serves: 1 People
- Prep Time: 0 Minutes
- Cooking: 35 Minutes
- Calories: 642
- Difficulty: easy
Condensed milk is a form of sweet milk that is cooked enough to remove any water from the milk. The sugar adds a caramel and creamy flavor in this milk. The cooking for removing water reduced the quantity of milk and form it into a thick sticky liquid. This recipe is a blessing for home bakers as it is cheap in cost and accessible to everyone even to the areas of Pakistan where you cannot find it in the stores.
- In a heavy bottom pan add milk and sugar and cook on high flame while stirring continuously. Do remember we need to stir it continuously as we use sugar in it and can stick to the pan. We cook sugar and milk together because it gives a creamy texture and good color to the condensed milk.
- Scrap the sides of the pan as well while stirring.
- If fat (Malai) came on milk, and the fat we scrap from the sides of pan, strain these with the help of a strainer in another bowl. Blend this fat (malai) in a blender and make it smooth. Mix it with the milk again.
- Slowly it will reduce to half and will turn to a creamy color.
- When the quantity of milk is reduced to 1/4 add baking soda in it.
- As soon as you will add the soda the milk will become frothy. Continue stirring it. Baking soda makes it more creamy and thick.
- Continue cooking the milk and you will notice boils in it and the milk will start to thick. You can lower the flame at this stage but keep stirring continuously.
- After 35-40 minutes of cooking the milk will turn to creamy color and will be thick as store bought condensed milk.
- Do not over thick it as it will thicken more after cooling down. You can check the thickness of condensed milk while checking its stickiness between your thumb and finger.
- Your condensed milk is ready let it cool down completely and store it in any airtight jar for upto 3 months. This recipe yields 200 grams of condensed milk.
- ___________________Note: If you feel that your condensed milk have some lumps in it do not worry. When your cooking process is complete add the condensed milk into a blender jug and blend it and then let it cool down. You will see a silky smooth texture of condensed milk.
- Commercially baking soda is not used but i will recommend to use it as it will increase the shelf life of you condensed milk otherwise you can store it for only 1-2 weeks.
You may also like