- Serves: 6 People
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking: 40 Minutes
- Calories: 580
- Difficulty: easy
Making one pot Mexican chicken fajita rice is a great way of taking vegetables in your diet and if you make them at home, they are pretty healthy for you too. Although the recipe I am sharing involves chicken in it but you can skip it and made these vegetarian rice.
What I love about fajitas is that nice, charred flavor that’s on the onions and peppers from a really hot skillet or griddle. You can get that same effect in your rice at home by using a really hot pan and letting the vegetables char by not moving them around too much. Also these are one pot rice and a quick and delicious dinner recipe. I am not saying that this recipe is a classic Mexican fajita rice recipe as I added my own Pakistani variation in it. So you can call this recipe as how to make Mexican fajita rice in Pakistani style. I hope you will enjoy the recipe and will share your feedback with me.
- Prepare the fajita seasoning for the rice first.
- Take salt, paprika powder, garlic powder, cumin powder, dried oregano, black pepper powder, red chili powder and mix every thing well. Your fajita spice mix is ready put this aside.
- Now take the chicken halves and pound these with hammer. Do not pound too much we do not need thin chicken. The reason behind pounding the chicken is to make it juicy and soft after cooking.
- Cut the pounded chicken in big pieces and add prepared fajita seasoning in it.
- Then add lime juice and oil in the chicken and combine everything well so that chicken could be well coated with marinade.
- Cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate for 15-20 minutes. You can even marinate it over night if you want to.
- After the marination put a wok or pan on the stove and add the chicken pieces in it. Cook the chicken on high flame and if required add some oil in between. Flip the sides of the chicken when it is cooked from the bottom. The reason behind cooking the chicken on high flame is to add a chard (smoky) flavor in the chicken and the high flame will also lock the juices of chicken inside.
- Take the chicken out of pan and in the remaining oil add chopped onion. You will notice that the oil is chard with some remaining of chicken, do not remove these as this will give that smoky flavor to the rice that we required for fajita rice.
- Turn the flame to medium and stir fry the onion till they get translucent.
- Then add sliced bell peppers and stir fry these for 10-20 seconds on high flame
- Add water in the pan and then add chicken cubes in it.
- Also add the leftover fajita seasoning in the water and give a mix to everything.
- Add soaked rice in this water and fried chicken, cover the pot and let the rice cook on medium to high flame till the water dries from rice.
- Take off the lid and give a gentle mix to the rice.
- Cover again and steam cook the rice for 10 minutes.
- Mexican style chard flavor fajita rice are ready to enjoy.
You may also like