- Serves: 5 People
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking: 130 Minutes
- Calories: 705
- Difficulty: easy
Balochistan is the province of Pakistan and famous for simplicity, charm and honesty of its people and their living style. Sajji with rice is one of the tradional food of Baluchistan. Traditionally it is made with lamb or mutton but here we give it a twist and created this recipe with chicken We have also made sajji masala for this recipe along with sajji rice. Sajji is a slow roasted meat recipe, a whole lamb stuffed with rice. In Balochistan sajji is served with traditional bread called "kaaK" cooked on hard stone. I will surely share the recipe of kaak as well but today I am sharing this recreated recipe of chicken sajji with you. Hope you will enjoy it in this winter season for your BBQ parties or any special event.
- Take the chicken and put deep cuts on it. You can use chicken with or without skin as the skin on chicken makes it juicy during cooking.
- Add ginger garlic paste and salt in vinegar, mix well and pour this mixture on the chicken. Rub the mixture well on the chicken so it could even reach deep in the cuts as well.
- Cover the bowl, keep it in fridge and let the chicken marinate over night.
- After the marination time take the chicken out on a strainer so that the coated mixture could be strained well.
- Take a big pan (pateela) and layer salt in the bottom, put a wire stand or any steel vessel in the middle of pateela. Cover the pateela and let it pre heat for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Grease a baking tray and place the chicken over it, rub some oil over the chicken as well. Put the baking pan of chicken in pre heated pateela.
- Cover pateela and bake for 60 minutes on medium to low flame.
- Then flip the side of the chicken and let the other side bake for 60 minutes as well.
- After baking time take the chicken out of pateela and let it cool down.
- In a frying pan dry roast black pepper corns, cumin and coriander seeds on medium flame till fragrant. Grind it and make a fine powder, then mix in it black salt and mango powder and sajji masala is ready. Rub 2 tablespoon or as per your taste of this masala on chicken.
- Now we will prepare the rice.
- In a wide pan add cooking oil and add sliced onions in it. Fry the onions on medium flame until golden brown.
- Now add spices (cardamom, star anise black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon) along with almonds and raisins and fry for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tablespoon of water in this masala and fry for a minute more.
- Now add salt and mix well.
- Then add boiled rice and combine everything well. Cover the pan and steam cook the rice on low flame for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes uncover the pan and fill these rice in the chicken. Place the remaining rice in a dish and place the rice filed chicken over it.
- Give the coal smoke for BBQ flavor, garnish the platter with sliced tomatoes and lemons and your chicken sajji is ready to serve.
You may also like