- Serves: 5 People
- Prep Time: 70 Minutes
- Cooking: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 260
- Difficulty: medium
Masala chargha is a spicy whole chicken dish made in Pakistan very commonly. If you are a desi food lover and espacily love Lahori chargha of Pakistan then do try this masala chargha recipe as well. Masala chargha or murgh musalam is a recipe where whole chicken is marinated overnight in the refrigerator with sauce made of spices mixed with yogurt. Then the marinated chicken is fried in oil. I love creating dinner recipes that are easy families but still tastes delicious. Chargha is a Pashto word that means whole chicken. Lahori chargha very quickly became one of the most iconic dish of Lahore. Although this recipe of masalha chargha is about roasting the whole chicken yet it is a bit different from Lahori chargha. Try and enjoy it.
- Put deep cuts on both sides of chicken.
- Add salt in luke warm water and dip the chicken completely in this water for 2 hours. This will help to create a saltish moisture in the chicken.
- Take yogurt in a bowl and add salt, garam masalha powder, crushed red chilies, cumin seeds, coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric in it.
- Mix these ingredients and put the chicken in it. Rub the mixture on it so that the marinate could reach even in the cuts of chicken.
- Let the chicken rest in this marinate for 30 mints. You can also marinate overnight in the fridge.
- After marination time take the chicken along with marinate to a big pot and put it on the stove. Cover the pot and let the chicken cooked in the marinate on slow flame so that it could get tender. Remember we don't need to add any water in the chicken.
- Change the sides of the chicken after 10 minutes.
- We will let the chicken cook in this marinate until the water of masalha gets dried a bit into form of a thick gravy.
- Then take oil in a wok for deep frying the chicken.
- The flame should be high under the wok and fry the chicken from both sides till it turns golden brown. Do not over fry the chicken or it will get dry.
- Take the chicken out of the wok on a paper towel.
- Before serving put the remaining gravy of chicken on top of the fried chicken for a better taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
You may also like