- Serves: 5 People
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking: 35 Minutes
- Calories: 146
- Difficulty: easy
Creme caramel is a classic French custard dessert with a layer of clear caramel sauce. Creme caramel, flan or caramel custard pudding contrasted with creme brulee which is custard with a hard caramel layer on top. Creme caramel is popular in Parisian restaurants and an ideal make ahead recipe at home. In Paris creme caramel is simple yet elegant answer to finish off with something light from dessert menu in restaurants. Creme caramel is a staple on many French menus since 1930s. As it can keep for up to 5 days in the fridge and it is cheap to make, creme caramel is a delicious yet practical dessert too.
Preheat the oven to 150 °C (300 F).
- Place four ramekins in a baking pan with sides that have taller sides than the ramekins.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl add whole eggs and egg yolks along with the sugar. whisk all these well with the help of hand mixer.
- Now add the milk and whisk gently,
- Then add vanilla and salt.
- Strain the mixture of custard so that its texture should be silky without lumps
- Let it aside to let any bubbles on the mixture dissipate.
- For preparing caramel add water to pan and mix sugar in it.
- Mix in lemon juice in it.
- Give it a full boil over high heat without stirring, and continue to boil until it turns to caramel brown color.
- While the sugar boils, occasionally brush the sides of the pot with water, to keep the sugar from crystallizing.
- Pour the caramel into the four ramekins equally.
- Let the caramel cool for a minute.
- Its time for baking. If there are still quite a few bubbles visible on the custard surface, spoon them off.
- Slowly pour the custard mixture into the ramekins, and dab off any new bubbles with a paper towel.
- Pour boiling water into the baking pan so that it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil (or a lid)and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean.
- Immediately (but carefully) remove the ramekins from the water bath to cool on a cooling rack until it came on a room temperature
- Then put the ramekins in fridge and chill completely, at least 3 hours.
- To serve, run a palette knife around the inside edge of a ramekin. Place a dessert plate over the ramekin and invert both. Lift the ramekin off, leaving the custard on the plate with the caramel as a sauce.
Classic creme caramel is ready to enjoy.
You may also like